What is Integrative Massage?
Integrative massage therapy is a treatment that involves the integration of therapy techniques from a number of different modalities including massage, somatic therapy and bodywork techniques. Massage is the manipulation of superficial and deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue to enhance the function and promote relaxation and well-being. Massage involves acting on and manipulating the body with pressure – structured, unstructured, stationary, or moving – tension, motion, or vibration, done manually or with mechanical aids. Target tissues may include muscles, tendons, ligaments, skin, joints, or other connective tissue, as well as lymphatic vessels, or organs of the gastrointestinal system. Massage can be applied with the hands, fingers, elbows, knees, forearm, and feet.
Touching is a natural human reaction to pain and stress, and for conveying compassion and support. Having a massage does more than just relax your body and mind - there are specific physiological and psychological changes which occur, even more so when massage is utilized as a preventative, frequent therapy. From the cradle to the nursing home, tactile stimulation and the emotional assurance of caring touch bring about a sense of well-being and security.
What are the benefits of Integrative Massage?
Receiving an integrative massage therapy session can renew your vitality, relieve your pain and stress, and make you more relaxed, and whole. Integrative Massage Therapy can be used to treat many conditions of a physical, emotional or mental nature. Benefits include:
- Releases endorphins - the body's natural painkiller
- Balances mind/body/spirit
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improves sleep and concentration
- Increases circulation
- Stimulates the flow of lymph, the body's natural defense system, against toxic invaders
- Relaxes and softens injured and overused muscles
- Reduces spasms and cramping Increases joint flexibility
- Reduces recovery time
- Reduces post-surgery adhesions and edema
- Improves range-of-motion and decreases discomfort for patients with low back pain
- Relieves pain for migraine sufferers and decreases the need for medication
What to expect?
As the session gets underway, you lie on a heated table under crisp, fresh sheets, hushed music draws you into the moment, producing a meditative state. Massage can provide emotional and spiritual balance, bringing with it true relaxation and peace.